The best way to get in touch is via Twitter @trionkidnapper. I’m always happy for folks to reach out and say hi.
I’m big believer in sharing knowledge, and I like what blogging brings to the table.
- I like to blog because life is too short for everyone to solve the same problems over and over.
- I like to blog because it forces me to learn what I don’t know about something, something I maybe thought I fully understood initially.
I’m an Android developer at my core, with a passion for Kotlin, Architecture Components and writing good unit tests. I’ve been a professional Android developer since 2010.
Coaching / Mentoring
As well as software development, I’ve always found deep satisfaction in coaching and mentoring others. Although related, understanding that coaching and mentoring are two distinct tools, and knowing when each should be used, is key to unblocking and supporting others. I have endless energy for this.
Currently Building… 🚧
Building the DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser Android app.
This app, used by millions, exists to do good in the world. Did you know it’s also open source? Full source code available on GitHub.
My Highlights at DuckDuckGo:
Building the browser
- Joined DuckDuckGo in 2017
- Brought in to build and launch a brand new Android app, DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser.
- The app was built from scratch in 2017. The thrill of
File -> New Project 🎉
- Highly regarded by millions of real users. 📈
- Key initial responsibilities were, basically, everything. 😅
- From creation of app architecture, configuring automated testing, release process, to all the initial features required for a v1 Browser launch in February 2018, getting the app released and into the hands of real users.
- And then iterating on the browser since. 🔁
It’s refreshing how much users like it. 😍
App Tracking Protection
- More recently, technical lead of App Tracking Protection, a solution for blocking trackers lurking in all the other apps installed on your Android device. App Tracking Protection is now built right into the standard DuckDuckGo Privacy Browser
- Key responsibilities: Responsible for building and launching App Tracking Protection, from building initial proof of concept, prototyping, user testing through to landing the feature in the production app
Growing the Team
- From an initial team of 3 mobile devs, we’ve been steadily growing over the years. We’re now 20+ strong in our team
- Involved in every part of the hiring process, from reviewing submissions and holding technical interviews, as well as improving the overall hiring process along the way
- Serving as career advisor for 5 people to help support them in their journeys
- Flexing team leadership muscles in pursuit of continual team growth, particularly through knowledge sharing, providing peer-to-peer feedback and support